Kitchen Manager/Production Cook
Type of Job:
Food Service/Kitchen Manager II
Balarat Outdoor Education Center serves Denver Publics Schools 5th Grade Students. Balarat is seeking a creative and motivated Kitchen Manager / Production cook to prepare healthy and tasty menus for students exploring at the beautiful front range campus.
Prepares, oversees the preparation and serves the daily meals at Balarat. Ensures that all sanitation standards of health, safety and hygiene are practiced and enforced.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Completes all aspects of food preparation for meal for each shift
- Directs work of volunteers, instructors and/or student helpers in the kitchen.
- Executes and maintains an efficient, economical and nutritious menu adhering to Denver Public School’s Reimbursable Lunch Program
- Handles ordering of food for each week and the organization/storage of food products and other materials necessary to the food service operations.
- Monitors that only the highest standard of quality is maintained in the production of the daily meals.
- Monitors that all kitchen sanitation and safety regulations are observed at all times.
- Maintains temperature and production logs.
- Monitors cost of menus and kitchen expenses.
- Monitors portion control, waste and maintains appropriate levels of needed inventory.
- Supports, promotes and adheres to Balarat Outdoor Education’s vision, mission, values and Code of Ethics.
- Reflects Balarat’s commitment to treating all persons with dignity and respect.
- Uses creativity and innovation in the production of weekly menus to create fresh and healthy meal items.
- Maintains confidentiality of students and agency information.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Production cooking, institutional kitchen, and Managerial experience as well as a good working knowledge of all food preparation and production standards including sanitation safety standards.
- ServSafe Food Handler/Manager Certification preferred.
- Good working knowledge of all commercial grade kitchen equipment.
- The ability to be able to function independently and maintain self-sufficiency with minimal supervision.
- Ability to create weekly menus, complete inventory & weekly orders through Noble Sysco
- Good interpersonal communication skills, flexibility and willingness to shift priorities as needed.
- Ability to manage student helpers in the kitchen
- Ability to commute to and from Balarat, i.e. a reliable AWD/4WD Vehicle for transportation
- Ability to interact effectively as a team member and independently
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and one to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, with benefits.
Position begins 8/16/18
The work calendar is 9 months with paid summers off and paid holidays during the school year.
This is a split shift. Hours are Monday evening, Tuesday-Thursday breakfast and dinner and Friday morning.
Must have experience with high volume food preparation.
Experience with nutrition standards for children is preferred.
We conduct background checks as part of our hiring process.